Tuesday, January 13, 2009

OH, THE POSSIBILITIES!



If you've reading my blog at all you're probably beginning to know how my mind works. I have all these ideas swirling around in my head just waiting to be executed. That's why I was so excited to get this wire order yesterday and a new hammer from Rio Grande. It doesn't look like much for what it cost me, but I see it as a source of endless possibilities.

It's amazing what you can do with some 20 gauge Argentium sterling silver wire, a chasing hammer and a steel block! Oh, maybe I should have also shown you all of my 10 pairs of various jeweler's pliers, polishing cloths, tumbler, micro torch ... I could go on and on. And not to mention the AA Energizer battery that I used as a mandrel to make these earrings here. Sometimes it is necessary to rummage around the house in drawers and cupboards looking for just the right tool to improvise!


I made a pair of earrings similar to this last week and listed them in my Etsy shop. I showed them to my husband and he said "Oh, they look kinda plain". Well, to my amazement, they sold in less than 24 hours. That's pretty quick for Etsy, trust me. No, they are not some fancy cascade of jewels but isn't this what we like to wear everyday? Something that goes with anything and we can slide in our ears before we head out the door.

A year ago, I purchased all of my own findings. I never even knew that you could make your own earwires, not to mention hoops! Thanks to the help of many experienced silversmiths and Etsy sellers and their blogs I really have learned so much. This year, I'd love to expand on my bit of knowledge of silversmithing to include soldering. That way I can make closed rings without having to do a wire wrap. Oh, and then there would be even more possibilities! I already have many more ideas forming now!

If there is anyone reading this blog that knows of a great book on soldering silver or taking a basic class in the Seattle area please let me know by leaving a comment. I'd really appreciate it!

Meanwhile, back to playing with wire!

2 comments:

  1. I have recently done a 12 week Silversmith course and loved every second. Will definitely do another one soon. I can highly recommend Jinks McGrath's Jewellery Making - A Complete Course for Beginners. Not that I'm saying you're a beginner, but her illustrations are great and tutorials very thorough. She also covers lots of decorative finishes.

    I've been thinking of making myself a pair of plain hoops for ages which I can wear with everything. Must get on with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I like those "simple" earrings! I want to learn how to do more things with wire and hope to get a chance to this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts. I treasure each and every comment and look forward to reading what you have to say!