Thursday, September 11, 2008

MOVING CROSS-COUNTRY




MOVING OUT DAY AUGUST 7TH, 2008

I can't believe that I've been in Anacortes Washington for a month today! With all the unpacking and painting I've been doing on our new home, not to mention the fact that I was without internet for almost 3 weeks, it's been difficult to keep up on my blog.

I thought I'd share a few pictures of our trip half way across the country from our home in the rolling hills of Eastern Kansas (Kansas City), to the flat prairie of Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado, through Montana and Idaho and finally into the Cascade Mountains and West Coast of Washington State. In all, we drove about 2100 miles in four days, sometimes being in the Jeep for about 10 hours ! Ace, our cat, was a real trooper and did very well staying in his carrier the whole time while in the car. Fast food was the only option for lunch as we didn't want to leave him in the car with temperatures in the 90's and no shade!

Here are the pictures. Not the best since most of them were taken through the windshield of a vehicle, but it will give you an idea of the changing terrain.


Windmills generating electricity on the Kansas Prairie


Ace looking pretty wide eyed wondering why his life is being turned upside down!


A bright end to a rainstorm in Colorado


Somewhere in Idaho, coming out of the Rocky Mountains (I think!)


Not such a shabby place to be stopped for road construction and a quick picture - going into the Cascades of Western Washington State.


Home in Anacortes, WA- A typical view while driving around town (on a not so typical sunny day when you can see Mount Baker!)

Hopefully this will give you an idea of how far our family traveled in such a short period of time. We're enjoying being back where we can see the mountains and the water everywhere we go, being closer to my side of the family and dear friends, while enjoying the slower pace of life in our special little town. Naturally there have been a few adjustments, like getting used to the cooler temperatures, missing the summer Kansas sunshine, colorful birds and butterflies, being closer to my husband's side of the family, and the awesome shopping of a big city, but I think we're all very glad to be home!

4 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about your move across half of the country! I'm glad that you and Ace are getting settled in your new home here in the Pacific Northwest! I enjoyed your pictures too - especially adorable Ace in his carrier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a long trip!! Glad you arrived safe and sound.
    I think your photos look terrific and I enjoyed seeing them.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We drove from St. Louis to Denver over the summer and saw these windmills too. They are so impressive. Like giants with long arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gulp. This is going to be me in a few weeks. Oh... the boxes! I have to get the Internet going before hand. What on earth would I do without it? (Mild panic sound inserted here...)

    The home you have moved into looks beautiful! I love the stonework.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts. I treasure each and every comment and look forward to reading what you have to say!