Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Czech glass & a little bird.. an ARTBEADS REVIEW

Hi everyone! Here I am for another Artbeads.com review. This time, I was asked to select some beads from their glass bead products and pendants. I opted to spend the bulk of my "allowance" on the sweet little sterling and resin bird pendant you see pictured above. With the warmer weather approaching, I thought it would be the the perfect accent for a summer necklace (for me!). I also ordered some czech glass rondelle beads in various sizes and colors.

Here are a few more detailed photos of the necklace. I paired the off-white pendant with a mix of brown and off white owyhee jasper beads from my bead stash and interspersed them with blue opalite czech glass from Artbeads. I was originally going to use all glass, but I needed something to tie in the white from the pendant- also the beads I ordered just seemed a little too large except for the 5X4mm czech glass roundelles which were perfect.

In an attempt to go for a natural look, I used Griffin silk cord (also available from Artbeads) and created a floating bead design with knots. I'll just say that this technique is harder than it looks! It's the first time I've tried it and I definitely have a new appreciation for those who make knotted necklaces!

The larger beads are perfect as an earring accent especially when paired with fine silver charms made from PMC. Artbeads also has a wide variety of beautiful sterling silver charms that can be used in place of my handmade components. Below are some earrings that I made with 5X7 mm Czech glass rondelle beads in turquoise. I just love this color!

One more pair: These use the opalite blue/purple beads that I used in the bird necklace with more pmc components. The glass beads I chose have the "Picasso" finish, meaning that the ends are a different color that the middle of the beads. It really gives the glass interest and a more rustic look. I opted to oxidize all of my components with liver of sulphur and rubbed them for a soft antique finish.
Well, I hope you are inspired to try out Artbeads.com. I have found their customer service, prices and quality of products to be outstanding, and I often shop at their website for products for my jewelry business Beadin By the Sea.

And until I have something else to say...
Have a great day!
~Debora

FTC disclaimer: I have received these products free of charge from Artbeads.com . I am honestly reviewing the products and have not been paid for this endorsement as it pertains to the products received.

9 comments:

  1. That necklace is very pretty and I just love those earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work always amazes me. So elegant, always. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah, I had no idea you made jewelry! I saw your Etsy shop on your FB page... and I love your jewelry! Fantastic eye - all of the pieces are really balanced and artistic. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried making knotted necklaces a couple of years ago, and they were fun, but you are right, harder than they look. Yours turned out so pretty though, and I *love* the glass beads in those earrings, gorgeous!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debora, love the beautiful necklaces...just lovely.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your stuff just ordered the silver earrings!
    Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes - you may add me to your list - silver earrings - sorry I don't post my RL info here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the little bird pendant. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts. I treasure each and every comment and look forward to reading what you have to say!