Sunday, June 1, 2008

HEART FOR MISSIONS

You just never know how your craft will be used, do you? I'm excited to say that my jewelry is going on a missions trip! After opening my Etsy jewelry shop Beadin By The Sea, I told all of my friends and family about it hoping that maybe they would support my new business venture or pass on the information to their friends. Well, my friend Sarah who lives 2000 miles away in Washington State, greatly exceeded my expectations. She asked me if I would make heart pendants for 6 ladies who live at or volunteer at New Generation Ministries Boys home where she and her group will be serving on a mission trip to Tijuana, Mexico. I thought that was so neat that she decided to support my shop and in so doing would get a unique, handmade item tailor-made for the trip. She asked me if I could put their theme scripture James 1:27 on the back of the pendant. The beauty of having silver as clay first is that the letters can be hand inscribed while the clay is still in the "wet stage". Of course, I only had room for the scripture address. The picture above shows how I use a butane micro-torch to burn away the binders in the clay to result in a silver piece that is 99.9% pure silver.

She doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to put each necklace in a pretty organza bag with a tag typewritten with the entire scripture. I wonder if I need to write it in Spanish though? I'll have to get someone to translate for me! I hope she will take some pictures of her trip there and I'll ask her if I can post them here in an update. The trip isn't until August so be sure to check back!

James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

My prayer for Sarah and her youth girls who are going is first for a safe journey as they carry out God's work, and that He will pour His blessings on them and the people they touch with God's love!

1 comment:

  1. From clay to silver...that is brilliant! Wonderful news of your sales...and your shop looks full of great beauties! Happy Day :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts. I treasure each and every comment and look forward to reading what you have to say!